Thursday 6 September 2012

Back on the Sand

So basically, I lied.

I failed to update my blog on summer results, training and travelling. However, I have a great excuse...it was because I was having so much fun! This summer made me realize that I had made the best possible decision to move back home and train on my home and native sand. I had the privilege of working with great coaches, playing with an incredibly talented partner and competing in events across the country. My partner Charlotte and I competed in events in Quebec, played many events in Ontario, travelled to Vancouver, BC to compete in the Senior Women National Championships and finished off the season with a 9th place finish at FIVB U21 Junior World Championships in Halifax, NS. Like any season, there were many ups and downs but the future looks bright for both of us. It was very exciting getting my first experience of international volleyball. I was quite nervous at first but my coach explained "they're all twenty something year old girls, playing beach volleyball just from a different country-that's all!". Once I was able to accept the fact that I was just playing the same game I do everyday, I became extremely comfortable on the court. I was able to feed off the energy from the crowd and play at a whole new level. I loved playing new teams I didn't know, having no expectation of their play and only focusing on my own side of the net. I started swinging even more aggressive and becoming a force at the net. My confidence in Charlotte sky-rocketed as she was digging up balls all over the court. Together, we played strong. Now that I've had a taste of the FIVB, I want more. I feel like this is where I belong and I am more excited than ever for my career in volleyball ahead of me.

I received some unfortunate news yesterday from the Big-East conference informing me that I will not be eligible to play in the CIS this year. I was extremely devastated having planned on being a Varsity Blue at the University of Toronto this coming fall. However, I believe everything happens for a reason and although this news may seem like the worst thing ever right now, I will eventually find some greatness from it. I plan on trying out for the National Beach Volleyball Team October 13th and try and pursue that pathway for this coming year. I was planning on training beach once my indoor season finishes in March however looks like I'm staying on the sand all year long! Perhaps that is greatness all in itself!

I head to Brazil this Saturday to compete in the FISU World University Games in Maceio, with my partner Caleigh Whitaker, a National Team member. This will be my second taste of international volleyball and I cannot wait for the games to begin! It'll be tough having not trained with Caleigh all season but we're both fully committed to making this partnership work and kicking ass in Brazil! She's an extremely gifted defender and I can't wait to see what we're capable of out on the court.

Believe, achieve, succeed.
Striving for excellence,

Sincerely,

Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment